January at age 31
It is January of my 31st year and it is only the 11th day. But somehow I have already had four baby showers happen in the past 11 days of this year. I only was able to make it to two. Even only attending two showers over the course of the 11 days of January it is obvious that a shift has happened in my life. I have not received a single save the date or wedding invite in the past six months but four invitations for baby showers. WOW. Times they sure are a changing, huh?
Over the weekend I attended a shower where we were asked to share advice with the mama to be. Here were my five tips.
- ASK FOR HELP From your mother, sister in law, friend, neighbor, whoever. When you need help or think you need help. Just ask. It will definitely do you good.
- TAKE TIME FOR YOURSELF The first month or so of Mario's life he was on a really nice nap cycle. He napped rom 10 am- 12pm and I used this time each day to light a candle, put on some music, take a nice shower and get dressed for the day. It was nothing special but it was 'me time'.
- HAVE A GLASS OF WINE Mario's pediatrician actually gave me this advice. I was struggling with producing enough milk in the early days and she told me I needed to relax. The wine was a nice treat after a full day of care with Mo.
- TAKE BABY TO GRANDMA'S HOUSE I took (and continue to take) advantage of this one. Nights out with Mike or a break to Target or a run in the park. I know my parents & Mike's parents enjoy their time with Mario. And I definitely enjoy the solo time to just get shit done.
- GET YUMMIE UNDIES from Nordstrom. They are comfortable and do a great job pulling that post partum tummy back into shape.
Those are my five pieces of advise. I think I was only asked for one piece of advice at the shower, but I couldn't help myself.